Saturday, October 29, 2011

Pumpkin Fiasco

Since Daddy has a paper due soon, he has pretty much been M.I.A. this week. So by Thursday, Kaylee and I were desperate for something fun to do. I decided to be brave and try carving our pumpkin with just me and my 20 month old. Think I'm crazy? I did too but I was willing to give it a try. 
The calm before the storm.
My favorite part is always scooping out the guts- carving takes way more patience than I have. And Kaylee loved squishing the guts between her toes. 
Disgusting...but it kept her busy and away from the knife I was using so it was perfect.  However, the slipperiness on her toes, her bum, and literally every inch of her body met with the slipperiness of the table and when she reached over to grab more guts, she slid right off the table and landed smack on her forehead before I could even react.Wow- that made me feel like a terrific mom, I tell you what.  But luckily kids seem to bounce back really fast and within two minutes she was asking to get back on the table for more "squish". Don't worry, I took more precautions after that! Here she is after the fall-you can even see the tear streaks on her cheek :(
 You'd think I would also learn that with toddlers, there can be no such thing as small scale. In my head Kaylee was content to sit and play in the bowl with the pumpkin remains.  But in real life, it was strung on the walls, the chairs, the table, the floor, on Kaylee, and all over me. 
 Regardless of this, I actually did have a lot of fun carving with Kaylee. You can tell we were definitely missing the carving expert in our family but it turned out alright for doing it by myself while trying to keep a busy toddler from falling off the table...again.  I'm just glad we both came out of this experience alive :)

3 comments:

Mary said...

What a funny experience. I am shocked that Kaylee loved the pumpkin guts since she hates being dirty. What a great way to entertain her - well except for the fall!! I think you did a great job on the pumpkin. I never got fancy and all of my pumpkins had the traditional triangle eyes, nose and mouth!!

kristi said...

SUPER cute!! And even when you're writing sad stuff, somehow you can always make me laugh!!! Hope you're okay Kaylee. Hope that mean mom didn't scar you for life!! ha ha

Julie said...

Poor Kaylee. Better than a banana peel! I'm amazed that she likes that stuff too. I HATE touching it - I end up itching for days.