Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Pumpkin Farm

I was so excited about taking Kaylee to a pumpkin farm this year.  We didn't get to go when our R.S. went so we've been trying to find a day for a while.  FINALLY it stopped raining and we went on Tuesday with two girls from my ward and their kids.  However, because it had been raining so much the pumpkin patch was REALLY muddy and they advised us not to make the trip out there because people had been losing their shoes, etc in all the mud. We were going to be brave and make the trip anyway but we got about 10 feet out and realized they weren't lying, it really WAS too muddy so we turned right back around.  Ha ha
I thought they offered a hayride out but apparently they only do that on the weekends...so I was pretty bummed about that. But they did have a bunch of pumpkins already picked so we got one to bring home to daddy and bought a tiny little gourd for Kaylee. 
We then ventured over to the kid area. They had a straw maze and grain boxes to play in. My sister took her son to a straw maze and it was kid size and very fun so I thought that is what it was going to be like.  NOPE- the walls of the maze were big enough for adults and on the floor going through the maze they laid about 4 or 5 inches of very very slippery straw!  Not only did Kaylee slip and fall every other step but I also kept slipping and looked like an idiot trying not to fall.  For a very pregnant woman who already hurts walking normally, this was NOT a good place for me. Every time Kaylee fell, it would make her really mad and she would look down at herself covered in straw, say "dirty", try to brush it off, and finally give up and ask me to hold her.  
There was also a slide in the middle of the straw maze that was a lot faster than I thought it would be and Kaylee hit her head and once again got very upset.  So the "fun" maze ended up being Kaylee sitting on my lap while the other kids played....oh well.  The grain boxes were tons of fun though so that was good. Instead of a sandbox, they have these boxes full of dried corn. Genius idea!  If I can figure out how to re-create it at my house, you better believe Kaylee will have a corn box in the backyard next year :) 
 We ended the day with a doughnut and cider. Definitely not an ideal trip but it was still fun.  And now we have a pumpkin that we need to carve- better get on that soon!  Can you believe Halloween is only a few days away???

3 comments:

The Browns said...

Sounds like you're having a lot of fun out there. That little Kaylee is getting real grown up. However, I wish there was a picture or 2 on here of you so we can see your cute pregnant-ness. :-D

Julie said...

You guys are expert pumpkin carvers - I expect amazing results.

Lacey said...

I'm bummed we didn't get to go together, we'll have to try again next year and do something else in the meantime!