Friday, July 18, 2008

New Friend

Working at the front desk of a place that does registrations for every camp between Vocal Beauty Boot Camp to Education Week brings a huge variety of people here. Most are relatively normal and do their registrations and then go on their way. But every once in a while we get a lonely old lady or a cute old man who like to stay and chat until we know about their entire life. Today I was the lucky one to encounter such a woman. I was on my way to fill up my water bottle and made the mistake of saying hello to a woman sitting in the lobby. She immediately jumped on my friendliness and proceeded to tell me every detail she could think of about her life. I know pretty much everything between her winning Miss Provo in 1961 to her husband's recent retirement to the mountains of Provo. She gave me some "great" advice such as I should have gone on a mission instead of getting married and that I shouldn't wear my wedding ring around Provo because people might think I'm trying to be too glitzy (which is her reasoning for not wearing hers). At first I was slightly irritated that this stranger was going on about nothing, but it was pretty funny after a while. My coworker finally faked a phone call for me to give me a chance to escape but I quite enjoyed the whole experience. She thanked me for being so kind (which then made me feel guilty for being so irritated!) and then said she would be back and that she hoped to see me again. I've had a hard time making friends since I've been married but I guess I just needed to wait for a friend to come to me! That is, if I don't mind my new friend being at least 70 years old and the fact that she won't let me get a word in edgewise! :)

4 comments:

Julie said...

Ha ha - I know you are just trying to show off by wearing that "glitzy" wedding ring around :)

Mary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary said...

Ha ha, all I wanted to do was change the spelling and it makes it sounds like I did something really secretive!! I just thought it limits how long you can have a friend if you start when they are 70 years old!!

kristi said...

Nice Kel!! You are so friendly!! With that attitude, you will have tunz of friends in no time!! :) Did you get her autograph since she was Miss Provo? Oh, and stop being so glitzy. Show off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!