Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Tender Mercies

Sunday was our first week in our new ward. I was excited to go because the ward we went to last week (which we thought was our ward) had been so welcoming and loving. I am ok meeting new people and being in new places if I have Richard there with me. However, as soon as Richard left to go to Priesthood and I started the slow walk towards Relief Society, I started to get really nervous. It's not that I can't meet new people, it's just that I'm usually terrified to start up the conversation! Luckily, Heavenly Father knows me so well that he sent an angel to take care of me during Relief Society. Her name is Diana Graham, she is at least 65 years old and my new best friend. She noticed me standing alone while we waited for the R.S. room to empty so we could go inside. She invited me in to come sit by her and proceeded to tell me everything I needed to know as if I had never been to church or lived in Provo before. She drew a map of all the streets I needed to know, including where the ward boundaries were, we chatted about how both of us are always cold in church and have to bring jackets even in the middle of the summer and she told me she was so excited to meet a fellow "sweater-wearer". She told me the best way to get involved in the ward activities and who I needed to call for visiting teaching. She put a big smile on my face when she said, "Here's my number, you can call me if you have any questions at all. We can even go to Enrichment together until you get your own circle of friends. But I hope we can be friends too!" She took such good care of me and I really needed that until I can force myself to get out of my shy shell again. After thanking her and getting up to leave I couldn't help but laugh as she shouted after me, "Stay warm!" This cute little old (er) lady will probably never know the huge impact she had on my first Sunday on my own and I will forever be grateful for her kindness!

6 comments:

this is halee *as in berry* said...

You know, Sunday, one of my first thoughts was of you. I thought, "I wonder how Kel is doing in her new RS without a support group of roommates." I totally don't even want to think about how hard it would be to go to a new RS by myself. I'm glad He sent His own 'support group' to the rescue.

Kelli said...

Me too! Thanks for thinking of me Hal Pal :)

Mary said...

Thanks for making me cry two days in a row, Kel:)!!! I loved you sharing this story. I am so sad that I passed on my shy, uncomfortable in new situations genes to you. It has followed me my whole life, but luckily I have found hundreds of angels to help me through it all too. What a great story. Thanks for sharing it!! I need to write that sweet little woman a thank you note from the bottom of my heart for taking care of my daughter!!

Julie said...

That's a great story Kel!

Holly said...

Ha ha, that's why I love old people so much. They're so friendly!

kristi said...

What a great story. I'm glad all of OUR prayers were answered too!! Give that lady a BIG hug from all of us!!