Thursday, May 29, 2008

The Good Ol' Days


I miss the good ol' days when Mom would baby me whenever I got really sick. I would get to stay home from school and lounge around on the big pillow chair while she would dote on me hand and foot. Whether it was good for me or not, she was always on hand with a milkshake or Jamba Juice to ease an aching throat and brought plenty of books and movies to make sure I was entertained. Nowadays when I'm sick, I wake up the same time as always, suck it up, and head off to work just like every other day. Don't get me wrong, Richard has been a great help and has been fixing all the meals and letting me relax while he patiently waits for me to get better. But it's just not the same as when my Mom would run to Blockbuster, make a stop at the library, and make a banana shake for me, all the while fluffing my pillow and checking my temperature twelve times a day.

7 comments:

kristi said...

Ha ha - so true. I can remember when I was sick and Tony would say "what more can I do to help you?" I would say "go get my mom!!" :) There's nothing like a mother's caring when you're sick. At least you can call into work if you are sick. Once you're a mom - there is NOOOO calling in sick!! :)

Kelli said...

That's a great question Holly! In fact, I took this morning off because I felt so crappy but for some reason decided to come in around 12. I walked in and everyone said, "what are you doing here?!?!" I really should be home in bed!

this is halee *as in berry* said...

Go home, go to bed ;)

Julie said...

NO KIDDING!

Kelli said...

I plan on it! At 5 o' clock :)

Mary said...

Thanks for the sweet comments. The ability to care for someone when they really need you is what being a mother is all about. Those are some of my great memories too and I really miss not being needed anymore!!!

Stef said...

I agree! (It is even harder to be sick when you ARE the mom, because then you are waiting on the kids hand and foot and wishing that someone was waiting on you!)