Thursday, September 8, 2011

All About Columbus

Lately I haven´t wanted to blog very much, mostly because I feel like there hasn´t been anything interesting to blog about.  But my sister reminded me that even if I do posts that other people don´t want to read, I´ll want to look back on them and remember so I´m probably going to do a lot more boring posts from now on :) 

Moving to Columbus hasn't been quite as dramatic as a change as I thought it would be. Probably my favorite thing about Ohio is the GREEN.  There are SO many trees here, it is unbelievable.  A lot of the main streets I drive down look like this:
We'd have to hike really far up the mountains to see this many trees in Utah.  Also, there are parks (and golf courses) everywhere!  I am really excited for fall- I can't wait to see what everything looks like in all the beautiful autumn colors.  

One thing that has been fun is the attention that Kaylee gets everywhere we go. People must not be used to too many kids running around because she gets spoiled with all the extra attention.  People in Utah always said hi and told her how cute she was, but here it seems like everyone just falls in love with her immediately.  But really, could you resist this face??
One big difference that has been a little bit annoying is the lack of choices in supermarkets.  Not a lack of supermarkets, because there is a Kroger on pretty much every other block, but there isn't a ton of other places to shop for food. It's really different coming from Provo where I lived 5-10 mins away from Macey's, Albertson's, Smith's, Walmart, Target, and probably a few others I'm forgetting about.

Another HUGE difference for us has been driving 25 mins to get to church.  We pass a million churches on the way from all different faiths but this is a whole new experience for us.  It makes me really not excited for 9:00 church but that won't happen for another year and a half so maybe we'll start going to the family ward then :)  Right now we go to the married student ward, which is TINY.  I'm shocked they let it be it's own ward!  But it's really nice because we've gotten to know a lot of people quickly and everyone seems to take care of everyone else.  Plus it helps that half of the ward is in our same apartment complex.

On the other hand, we are still only 15 mins away from a temple which is amazing!  Before the Columbus temple was built, they had to travel 8 hours to go to the one in D.C.  I'm SO grateful that's not the case anymore because I don't think we'd ever really be able to go.  How do you find a babysitter for that?
My only REAL complaint about Ohio?  The water. There is so much chlorine in the water that it tastes like bleach to me.  Unless I have it really really cold, I can't gag it down.  Maybe I'll get used to that eventually...but for now I always have a ton of ice handy. 

We did take a video of our apartment but I can't get it to work on blogger right now so I'll keep trying.  In the meantime, I guess you'll just have to come visit us to see what our apartment really looks like!!

2 comments:

Mary said...

That is so interesting that the temple is closer to your home than the church is. It is amazing to think your temple district used to be D.C. Sure glad you don't have to make that trek. I will have to go through a session one of the times I am there for a visit.

kristi said...

Okay - green? There's plenty up here by the U where you should've come anyways and lived in Kimmy's house. Temple? We have PLENTY here in Utah! Kaylee? She would've been JUST as cute here!! Stores? We have MILLIONS here!

And water? If you wanted gross water - should've STILL gone to the U but lived in Magna. ha ha ha