Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Bye Bye Butterfly

The girls and I have had a fun experience for the last couple of weeks- we took a caterpillar from our friend's garden (with permission of course) and put him in a jar to see what he would do.  We were able to see him through all of the stages and were fascinated to watch him start as a small yellow and black caterpillar,
and then get huge and green while eating and eating and EATING parsley, 
spin a cocoon, and finally emerge as a gorgeous butterfly.  
I think I was WAY more into it than the girls were and scared them half to death when I screamed as soon as I saw that our butterfly was out. It was so pretty and was even nice enough to let us all take a turn holding it before it flew off. 
It was a really fun experience and definitely one I would do again!!!

3 comments:

Mary said...

That is so cool that you grew your own butterfly:)!! What a fun experience. It was sure a gorgeous butterfly. I don't think I have ever seen a complete black one before.

Julie said...

How fun! We did butterflies once, but they weren't nearly as pretty as that. It is gorgeous.

Cheri said...

I have always wanted to do that. I even planted a bunch of milkweed in our yard at one point to attract some monarch butterflies to lay their eggs on, but to no avail. You are so lucky.