Saturday, December 26, 2009

S.O.S.

PLEASE tell me that every soon-to-be mom has days when they say, "what am I thinking? I can't be a mom!?!" You know, those days when you realize that you can't even decide what color to make the crib sheets, so how could you possibly make decisions that will affect the life of an otherwise helpless human being? Please tell me everyone thinks that, because I just had a day like that. A really bad day like that. My wonderful mom and sisters came down to Provo to take me baby shopping. And I freaked out. Walking up and down those aisles with SO many things staring back at me that I alone will be responsible for knowing how they work, why they are necessary, and when to use them was just a little too much for me I think. I didn't even know what fun things to register for, let alone which things the baby will actually need. And I'm not going to lie, I was more interested in looking at all the fun toys than remembering which car seats had the highest safety rating....does that make me a bad mom already? I'm sure tomorrow will be a better day and I will realize that nobody knows everything they are supposed to be doing before the baby actually comes and I will calm down. In the meantime I think I'll go watch a movie and try to ignore the butterflies in my tummy that come when I realize that I am just over 3 months away from this little one coming whether I am ready or not!

5 comments:

kristi said...

Nope. I NEVER had days like that. ha ha ha. OF COURSE - everyone has days like that. And they don't end even after the kids come. :) How's that for help?!?!? :)

Julie said...

Ha ha - you looked like you were keeping your calm . . . :)

Dan said...

Actually my fear is the other way around - I'm probably ready to be a dad soon, but I doubt any child is ready to be my son or daughter. Poor kid.

If they misbehave, three words: Swiss Boarding School

Mary said...

Hey, being a mom is a piece of cake:)!! You will do great. You have all the love and support of your whole family who are only a phone call or a short drive away when those panic moments hit!! We love ya and had lots of fun at the store!

Barbaloot said...

Kelli-it's Barbara. Fun seeing you and Richard the other night. Thanks for coming over---and um, I can't give you any advice or opinions on the whole freaking out thing. But---uh, good luck:)