Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Near Death Experience...or so I thought

Richard had such a fun night planned for us last Friday. For part of it, he wanted to take me up to this "castle" in Provo (it's really just a tiny little fort, what do you expect in Utah?) to hike around and look at the beautiful view. When we got there we were sad to see that there was a wedding reception going on so we couldn't explore as much as we wanted to. Instead of following the main road up to the castle, where the reception was, we decided to walk straight up the back hill. Both of us were in shorts and flip flops and were just laughing and talking when all of the sudden I looked down and saw a snake's head RIGHT by my foot!!! (yes this is the actual snake that nearly killed me!) :)

I SCREAMED and ran all the way back down the hill. Richard, not knowing what I was doing, ran down the hill after me, also screaming a little bit (although he won't admit that part!) It was just a tiny little snake and I felt so ridiculous afterwards, but I was seriously terrified looking down and seeing that little snake's head right by my bare toes! That's about as "near death" as I would like to be for a while :) After that I would not walk in the grass but we still had a nice time walking around this little castle and around the lake behind it. We'll have to go back in hiking boots and pants and then I'll be able to relax and enjoy it a little bit more!
**In Richard's defense, he really wasn't screaming, he just looked down and also saw the snake right by him and then got scared because he thought maybe it had bitten me. And then he was brave and went back up the hill to take the picture :)

5 comments:

Julie said...

Ha ha - I HATE HATE snakes. I found one in my backyard a few days after we moved here and we find one or two more every year. UGGGGGGGG!!! The worst part about them is that you just don't see them until you practically step on them.

Julie said...

PS - how the heck did you get that picture?

Holly said...

Cree-py. Yuck. How funny that you stopped to get a picture before you ran off screaming :-)

Dan said...

Richard was screaming too? I don't even know you anymore...

kristi said...

So if you KNEW you were going to "hike around the castle" why weren't you wearing shoes in the first place?? YUCKY YUCKY snakes. Hilarious that you got the pic though. I definitely hope that's as close as you get to near death! :)