Wednesday, May 18, 2022

October 2021

 We were very slow at getting our cabinet doors painted. They needed so much sanding and we had been working non-stop on house things for months so we got really burnt out. Richard surprised me by working hard while I was in Louisville and finishing all the sanding and priming so we could get them painted and put up! It felt so good to have them done. Now we just needed to paint the walls!

Brooklyn's friend, Grace, invited us to join their family for a Halloween event at the Hilliard Historical Village. They had different things set up in each of the little buildings and candy at each one. They had a few "haunted houses" set up inside a train and the museum, the chapel was decorated like a zombie wedding, they had crafts and coloring pages, and at the schoolhouse they read a scary story (that was way too scary!) to the kids. They also had a hay ride. It was pretty fun for the whole family but Brooklyn especially had a really good time with her friend. 

I tried to make pumpkin muffins but as I pulled the tray out, I hit the corner of the oven and they went flying! They fell out all over the floor and were smashed to pieces. My girls were quick to reassure me that they would eat them even if they were broken and had been on the floor :D

Richard took a day off of work and we spent ALL day Friday and Saturday painting the trim, doorframes, and walls in the kitchen, living room, and entryway. It was a huge job and we were exhausted! I was trying to paint behind the kitchen sink when I lost my balance and the paint from the cup I was holding went flying up right into my ear. It was disgusting and I had paint dripping from my face. We got VERY lucky and somehow only a few splashes ended up on things in the kitchen which we quickly wiped up. Even though it didn't feel good for me, and took forever to get out of my hair and ear, I was so grateful it didn't ruin all of the things we had already painted/installed! 


Our fridge stopped making ice and we thought it would just be a quick fix. However, after multiple visits from the handyman, we found out it was leaking freon and would take way more money to put into this fridge (which had already given us problems) than we wanted to. So we bought a new fridge to go with our new kitchen!

I got to go to our annual Witches Night Out with girls from the Westland and Hilliard wards. I try to make a themed food every time to take and this time I made snake breadsticks. I thought they turned out pretty good and they were really easy!

We went to two Halloween activities around town- the first was in downtown Dublin where we went trick-or-treating from store to store. They also had some fun activities set up on a grassy area where we played for a little bit. The next was at a high school that had a lot of booths set up with free candy and other swag. We are always able to find so many fun Halloween events to go to!

We let the girls choose if they wanted to paint or carve their pumpkins. Brooklyn and Richard chose to paint while the rest of us carved. Kaylee couldn't decide what face to do and carved a scary face on one side and then used some light-up eyes and fangs that Grandma had sent to decorate the other. 






Trick-or-treating was on the Thursday before Halloween and of course was pouring rain! But it didn't stop the girls from getting crazy amounts of candy. McKenna's friend Reagan came along with us as has been their tradition since we moved into the ward. Brooklyn was so excited when she saw this big R2D2 blow up and said "Mom it's my friend! Take a picture of me with my friend!"



We had no idea how we were going to paint our very tall entryway. A counselor in our Stake Presidency was very kind and lent us some equipment so we could get it done.


Our final Halloween event was the ward trunk-or-treat. Primary was in charge of it and it was very stressful and multiple things went wrong but it ended up working out pretty good. Kaylee ended up wearing a different costume to each event we went to and I even dressed up for this one!



The kids had a lot of fun playing with and trading their candy over the next several weeks. We always go to so many events, we always have way more candy than we could possibly eat!

No comments: