Sunday, May 3, 2020

January 2020

New Years Day we kept our tradition of going out to breakfast.  Our friends have done indoor snowball fights (with rolled up socks) in the church on New Years Day the last few years so we joined them for a little bit. After everyone got tired of the snowball fight, Brooklyn got on her bike and started zooming so fast around the gym.  She would go as fast as she could, and then turn her bike and drift until she was all the way turned back the other way.  It was amazing to watch and I couldn't believe how brave she was.  She would turn so fast but would hardly ever fall.  She scared me every time but she had a blast doing it over and over again.  And then, because it was still such nice weather, we went and played at the river. I wish winter could always have amazing weather breaks in the middle of all the cold.  It has definitely helped this winter not feel as long. 

McKenna has been asking for a desk for her room so she could draw and write stories. We told her we weren't going to buy her one right now so Kaylee got to work making her one.  I was very impressed with her creativity and how well she was able to get a working desk out of just a cardboard box.  She even decorated it and made sure there was a place for sisters to share secret messages and a place for McKenna to store all of her finished stories.  I thought it was so cute and thoughtful of her to make something that her sister wanted. 
Brooklyn has been really loving painting lately so I've been working on my painting skills.  I think my creations would be better if I sketched them out first but I have amazed myself at how well they turn out with my limited skills. They are definitely not perfect but it's been good for me. I imagined this ballerina in my head and it seemed to come to life on it's own.  I have really enjoyed creating art lately, which is something I never would have thought I would need or want to do. 
Brooklyn continues to be my little buddy and wants to be involved in anything I'm doing.  She would rather follow me around and do chores than play with toys by herself most of the time.  She also seems to love to help me cook and loves to stir things up. 
We had a bunch of balloons leftover from our NYE party and Richard and Kenna started having a contest to see who could stack balloons the highest.  They ended up working together and got them to stay all the way up to the ceiling. McKenna was very proud of their work and wanted me to take a picture and send it to Grandma. 
I had a great idea to teach the kids about the Tree of Life. We used a lamp to represent the tree and then tied a rope around it which wound all over the house.  We blindfolded the kids and tried to get them to let go of the rope by tempting them with treats or other promises.  We did it once and all the kids made it to the "tree" and they had so much fun they wanted to try again. However, this time, one of them pulled too hard on the rope and our poor lamp toppled over and shattered.  It made for a memorable lesson, even if it wasn't in the way I was hoping!

No comments: