Sunday, November 18, 2018

October 2018

I bought magnetic paper when Kaylee was a toddler because I saw an idea to make a paper doll craft with your own kid's photo but I could never figure out a way to make it work. I finally had this lightbulb moment where I realized how I could make it work so I took a picture of Brooklyn and found a few things to print off to dress her up.  I thought they were so cute that I ran to buy another pack of magnetic paper and we did pictures of Kaylee and McKenna too, plus a whole lot more accessories.  I thought it was so fun!  We were very entertained playing with them while we watched General Conference.  
Not only was this Conference historic with the announcement of the shortened church meetings, but it was also Kaylee's first time watching Women's Conference with me.  It was really fun to have that special thing to do with just her and I.  Even better was the fact that after Pres Nelson gave his four challenges to all the women, (1.Take a 10 day social media fast 2. Finish the BoM by the end of the year 3. Go to the temple regularly 4. Participate fully in Relief Society) we talked about what it meant for us when the prophet says something like that.  Since she doesn't do social media, Kaylee volunteered (with no prompting from me!) to give up all media for 10 days instead.  She also is going to read the Book of Mormon with me to finish it by the end of the year.  I was so proud of her! And it is great to have that time with her every day to read. 

We haven't gone to as many festivals and activities this year but we did hit two for fall.  One was a family night at OSU where they had crafts and food and games through the Alumni Association.  I was shocked how much they had because they do these family nights every month. 
The other was a festival we have been to a few times before at a garden center.  They have bounce houses, hay rides, giant pumpkin carving, the turtle lady, and carnival games to play.  
We were lucky enough to have Grandma come visit again!  Unfortunately, we went straight from hot summer weather to freezing cold.  But we still managed to have a lot of fun.  The first day we went to the Olentangy Indian Caverns and went to the petting zoo, played mini golf, went in a treasure maze and did gem mining.  
Saturday we trick-or-treating twice, one down Hilliard Main St and once in the Tuttle Mall. Then Grandma took Kenna birthday shopping which is all Kenna has been talking about for weeks! We also got to both attend the adult session of stake conference while Mom stayed and played with the kids. 
The girls went back to school on Monday and Brooklyn got to pick what she wanted to do with Grandma. We took her to the Conservatory so she could see the new children's garden and the interactive art display we love. Then it was already time to say goodbye.  I swear her visits feel shorter every time!
We had our ward Halloween party the Saturday before Halloween.  I had been planning on being an angel for a few weeks but didn't plan on Richard dressing up since he usually won't dress up with me anymore.  I was so happy and surprised that he said he would do a couples costume with me and he went as a devil.  We didn't think anything of our choice of costumes until we got to the church and multiple people commented on the fact that he must be really brave to dress up as Satan at a church function.  Oops!  
Kaylee also wanted her hair in little braids to go with her her Uma costume. I told her I would only do it once so we spent an hour and a half braiding her hair for the ward party and then we tried to keep them nice as best we could for the next couple days until Halloween (We also tried dyeing it blue but you couldn't see it at all).  It brought back lots of fun memories of doing these kinds of braids for girls camp!  And I thought they looked really cute with her costume.
We went trick-or-treating with some new friends in our ward that have a girl Kenna's age and it was really fun. There is even a older lady in our neighborhood who goes all out and buy presents for each kid who comes to her house.  AND still gives out a bunch of candy to each kid. She was very sweet and it was a great night for our kids.  This is the first year that they got really into sorting and trading their candy and it was fun to see them do the same kinds of things I would do with my siblings when I was little.
 

No comments: